Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Touro has more bread than a prison meatball

There might be some large changes at NYMC in the near future.
Apparently NYMC has had money problems for a while, and it's all come to a head this year. The students just found out that the school is in talks with Touro college to possibly buy NYMC. Touro is "a Jewish-sponsored independent institution of higher and professional education" (from wikipedia) with allopathic, osteopathic, nursing, and law schools all over New York state. It's probably best known (perhaps undeservedly) for a 2007 scandal-one of its schools got in trouble because some employees were selling diplomas.
No one seems to know exactly how to react to this, but there is a vigorous discussion here. Don't click that if you want to avoid SDN craziness. Here there be archetypal pre-meds.

I haven't given the issue a lot of thought since I'm not really in a discriminating position-I've only been accepted at UTSA (Emory had their last acceptance mailout a week ago and I got nothing). I'll only be able to look down my nose at Touro when I'm sitting on a fat stack of acceptances.

Some awesome news: all of the AMP students got their invitations to interview at NYMC! We're not sure if they'll be able to take all of us but just getting the interview relieves a lot of tension.

EDIT: apparently NOT all of the AMP students got interviews, but the majority did. Sadz.


I gave an AMP applicant a tour of campus the other day. Even though I had no impact on her application, it felt BAD ASS to be on the other side of an interview day.

No comments: