Sunday, July 5, 2009

Graduate'd!

NYMC's first Accelerated Master's Program is done! I'm writing this from my parents' house where I'm spending the summer.

It's actually been done for a while. Our third neuro midterm was 6/12 and our final (another mini-board) was 6/19. I didn't perform all that well but I wound up getting a B. I don't know if this is true for everyone or just AMP students, but NYMC seems very hesitant to give people anything less than a B, even if your number grade doesn't seem to warrant it. The downside is that people with hugely varying scores (73-85, in biochem's case) end up with the same grade.

Immediately after our neuro final our program directors took all of us out to lunch at a teppanyaki restaurant. It wasn't a formal end-of-year event but it was fun, and we all got to say our goodbyes. Dr. Lerea kept talking about the bonds we'd formed, and how we'd always be able to count on these relationships in the future. What a guy.


Moving out was a nightmare, but only because I was disorganized about it. The superintendent was really chill. I wasn't fined or anything, despite leaving several sticky hooks up on my bedroom's walls.
And the cheapest storage units near Westchester? Why they're at Nanuet's Extra Space Storage. Look 'em up.

My only responsibility this summer is to get ready for med school! I was actually accepted to Stony Brook back in May, so I'll be making the move to Long Island this August. Drs. Lerea and Levine continue to be really supportive, and have repeatedly wished me all the best :)

The only black mark on this summer is my thesis. NYMC requires AMP students to write a BIG literature review on a topic of our choosing in order to get our degree. I don't really have to do it since Stony Brook doesn't care if I get my degree or not, but it would be lame not to finish it up after all of this time and money spent.

No comments: