Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Project Sunshine

There aren't too many volunteer opportunities on NYMC's campus. There's a student-run clinic, but AMP students (and first-year med students) aren't allowed to do anything but administrative tasks (i.e. copy wench). I joined Project Sunshine a few weeks ago because visiting hospitalized children sounded like a fun way to develop patient contact skills.

The NYMC Project Sunshine chapter has ~50 people in it so we get divided up into groups of 5 and one group visits the Blythedale Children's Hospital at a time. My group went last Friday and we had an awesome afternoon playing with some of the children in the physical therapy program. Some played Madden, some painted pumpkins, I chased a 3-year-old with a Spongebob Squarepants ball for an hour.

I kinda wish we knew more about the kids' needs before meeting them, but we caught on quick and everyone had a fantastic time. I can't wait to go back.

No comments: